Are you ready to start training your dog or puppy? Proper training and socialization are among your dog’s basic needs. It’s important to start training your dog as soon as possible to sit, stay, come, go to their crate, and to go potty outside. And believe it or not, it’s something you can do yourself as a beginner.
At first, dog training can seem pretty overwhelming, especially if this is your first dog. The truth is that training your dog is a very big project. If you take it step by step, you will find the task to be far less daunting. Here is some information to help get you started:
- Start a Dog Obedience Program: Learn how to set a basic foundation before you begin to train your dog.
- Train Your Dog Using Games: Training your dog should be fun! Everyone knows it’s easier to learn when you are having a good time, so try implementing some games into your dog training regimen.
- Six Weeks to a Well-Trained Dog: Using this schedule as a guide, you can teach your dog the basics in about six weeks.
- Positive Reinforcement: There are many different ways to train a dog, but most dog professionals agree that the positive way is the best for both the dog and trainer.
Watch Now: How to Train Your Dog With Positive Reinforcement
Need help with dog training? Consider getting assistance from a dog trainer. Try group classes and/or private lessons, and check here for tips on affordable dog training.
House Training and Crate Training
Unless you plan to keep your dog outdoors—and few of us do because it’s not recommended—you’ll need to teach your dog where to eliminate. Therefore, house training (also called housebreaking or potty training) is one of the first things you need to work on with your dog. Crate training can be a very helpful part of the training process. This includes house training as well as many other areas of training:
- Crate Training Dogs and Puppies: Here are the basics of training your dog or puppy to accept and even enjoy the crate. Not only will it help with housebreaking, but it will also give your dog a place of his own.
- How to House Train your Dog: When it comes down to it, house training is not that complicated, but this doesn’t mean it’s easy. Consistency and diligence are key during the housebreaking process.
- Submissive/Excitement Urination in Dogs: If your dog is still having accidents in the house, it may be more than a simple housebreaking issue. Your dog might urinate out of excitement or to express submissive behavior.
Leash Training Dogs and Puppies
Every dog needs to learn to walk on a leash. Besides the fact that most areas have leash laws, there will be times when keeping your dog on a leash is for his own safety. Learn how to introduce your dog or puppy to the leash, then teach him how to walk properly on the leash, even beside you on a bike. A loose leash walk teaches your dog not to pull or lunge when on the leash, making the experience more enjoyable for both you and your dog.
How To Socialize Dogs and Puppies
Socialization means training your puppy or adult dog to accept new people, animals, and various places by exposing him to these things. Socialized dogs are less likely to develop behavior problems and are generally more welcomed by others. Socialization can also help prevent the development of fears and phobias.
The bottom line is that socializing your dog or puppy will make him a happier, more well-behaved dog.
Clicker Training for Dogs
Clicker training, a common form of positive reinforcement, is a simple and effective dog training method. Although it is still fine to train your dog without clicker training, many people find it helpful. With clicker training, you can easily and effectively teach your dog all kinds of basic and advanced commands and tricks. It’s fast and easy to learn how to clicker train your dog
Basic Commands and Fun Tricks
There are some basic dog training commands and dog tricks that every dog should know like come, speak, drop it, stay, back up, etc. Basic commands give your dog structure. In addition, they can help you overcome common dog behavior problems and will help keep your dog safe.
How to Train Your Dog to Stay
What’s more fun than showing off your dog’s cool tricks?! Dog tricks are a great way to take your dog training to the next level and give your dog some mental stimulation.
Proofing Behaviors and Troubleshooting
Proofing is the last step in training your dog to do any new behavior. Learn how to proof behaviors so your dog will be as obedient at the park or a friend’s house is he is in your own living room.
Remember, just because you have reached the final stages of training, it doesn’t mean that behavior problems won’t crop up. Learn about the most common dog behavior problems and how to deal with them. These guides will help you navigate this part of the training process:
- Proofing Behaviors: Practice behaviors in a variety of situations with different levels of distraction. Without proofing, your dog may behave well in your living room, but seem to forget all his training when he is outside the house.
- Teach Your Dog Self-Control: This method teaches your dog that nothing in life is free, but that he needs to earn things like food and attention through obedience.
- Common Dog Behavior Problems: Understanding potential behavior issues can help you detect and address them before things get out of control.
- Dog Behavior Management Versus Dog Training: While dog behavior management and dog training are two different things, they are not mutually exclusive. Behavior management is an important part of any dog training program.
Advanced Dog Training
Once your dog has mastered all the basics, you can consider moving on to more advanced tricks. These activities will help keep your dog active, fit and mentally stimulated. Plus, they will help strengthen the bond you share with your canine companion.
Remember that training is an ongoing process. You will never be completely finished. It is important to keep working on obedience training throughout the life of your dog. People who learn a language at a young age but stop speaking that language may forget much of it as they grow older. The same goes for your dog: use it or lose it. Running through even the most basic tricks and commands will help them stay fresh in your dog’s mind. Plus, it’s a great way to spend time with your dog.
How do you train your dog to ignore other dogs?
While your dog should always be leashed when out, there are other ways to train them to be unbothered by other dogs while on walks. Keep a distance from other dogs while out and call your dog’s name whenever they notice another dog, rewarding them with a treat. You can continue this process, gradually getting a little closer to dogs while encouraging your pup to ignore them and rewarding them with a treat.
How do you train your dog not to run away?
Many experts believe that chasing a dog that is running away will only encourage it to run further because the dog thinks this is a game. Start training your dog to stay with you by slowly walking away from it, then calling its name and rewarding it with a treat when it comes to you. You can even add to this training by spending time with friends, having them call your dog, and giving it a treat when it comes to them.
How do you train your dog not to jump on people?
Start by asking your dog to “sit,” and asking people not to approach. If your dog is approached and obeys this command, offer it a treat. Reinforcement is key!
Celebrity News5 days ago
No more trekking: Nigerian Skit Maker Funnybros buys himself a brand new Toyota Camry (Photos)
Celebrity News1 day ago
“No wonder Jada P no wan leave Machala” – Fans react as Wizkid’s big gbola surfaces online (Photos)
Celebrity News7 days ago
Congratulations To Actor Ibrahim Chatta As He Welcome a New Bouncing Baby Boy
Celebrity News3 days ago
Meet The Yoruba Actors With Four Or More Children Working In The Movie Industry (Photos)
Celebrity News6 days ago
Meet the beautiful Girlfriend of Funnybros (Details)
Viral Trends5 days ago
“I use my bath water to cook, to attract customers” — Food vendor makes a shocking confession (video)
Celebrity News3 days ago
Lateef Adedimeji denies welcoming 1st child with wife, Mo Bimpe
Celebrity News7 days ago
“He is in 300 level, lives in Abia”: Here are 6 things to know about Funnybros (Details)
Celebrity News3 days ago
Congratulations pour in as Sunday Igboho buys new Toyota Prado worth N65m (Photos)
Celebrity News4 days ago
“She no even shave her kpekus” — Phyna bashed over outfit flashing her down part in club (Video)